Thursday, March 25, 2010

Oh yeah....I have a blog I should be writing...oops.

Yes, I am a poor blog writer. I'm sorry!! You'd think what with me wanting to be a writer and all that I would be better at updating this blog but alas that is apparently not how things work in Mallory's world. Anyways, so my last blog was at the end of last semester. And this blog is a month away from my last semester of college...ever...as in I'd be done with school after sixteen years...as in I'd have a degree...as in OH MY GOD I NEED TO FIND A JOB!!

Yeah, fun times. Well in case some people are not aware, I've applied to three summer programs (which a roommate has dubbed Publishing camp) that run six weeks and teach me all about the world of book and magazine publishing. This is because I have no idea what I want to do with my life. A career counselor asked me what I wanted to do and I said, "I want to be a writer." and then she looked at me with her sad eyes and talked about some temp agencies that I should sign up for. Anyways, these programs are at Columbia University, NYU, and Denver University. I'll be contacted around April 15 or 16th to find out if I made it in to any of them. Right now, I believe my chances are pretty slim to none which is why I'm looking for jobs in Fargo but if I do get into the programs it would be pretty cool. Being an editor or a literary agent would be kind of awesome especially if I get to work in the YA sector (That's Young Adult). I think the U of Denver seems like the one that would fit me most because six weeks in New York kind of scares the pee out of little midwestern me.

That's what's going on with my life. Sure I've got classes and I'm currently taking my Writing Capstone (see my last blog for my harrowing History Capstone account) but it's going much better. I really get along well with my professor and I'm writing about the quality of YA literature because that is what I want to write. This capstone has an academic paper but also a creative writing part and I get to work on the novel that I've been working on for four years. Yay! And also boo! and also Holy crap! Yay because I'm finally getting actual help on my book (and there needs to be a lot of help) Boo because I've already rewritten my book three times and it's tough! and Holy crap because I'm that much closer to maybe becoming an actual writer!

I'm also taking Greek Myth from a favorite Professor and two friends. One of these friends is competitive about grades because he always wants to be the smartest. I hate, hate, HATE, when people are like that. It doesn't usually matter to me but I've consistently beat him grade-wise and now I feel as if I need to keep it up because he's kind of a jackass and he needs to take a chill pill.

Anyways, I may blog about why I think everyone (not just teens) should read YA literature (young adult) but my good intentions may fall to the wayside as I am reaching the final month of college.
If by chance, you want to just try a YA book on my suggestion that would be awesome!
I just read a thrilling murder-mystery that I started last night and finished today because it was so intense! It's called The Body Finder by Kimberley Derting.
If you want to read possibly my favorite author of YA right now (I love too many) then John Green's book Paper Towns is amazing and beautiful and hilarious. I didn't know what to do with myself after I finished reading it because I spent most of the time going "I'll never be able to write like this!! I should just quit now!!"

Anyways, those are suggestions that would be cool if someone actually took because I love talking about books with people. You can always ask me to lend you the books too! Cuz I haz them.

I also enjoy getting book suggestions...leave them in the comments??

4 comments:

Barker Family Blog said...

You are a good writer because you just made me laugh about 3 or 4 times in that post! And I would love to read one or both of those books you mentioned...bring them on Easter ok?? I can't believe you are going to be done with college already! I am keeping everything crossed that you will get accepted into one of those programs! It would be wonderful for you! And your midwestern butt would be fine in NY! You survived Norway right? Hardly the same but you get my drift. Can't wait to see you, Love you!

Shannon said...

I would like to suggest love poems by danielle steele. also the nauti boy series, jk I haven't read the first one yet. I can't give you book recommendations because we like all the same ones! Anyway, good job for writing a blog. I should probably do that too. but I probably won't. See you at Easter!

Billie said...

I, too, laughed out loud at least 4 times. I don't have any book suggestions. I still haven't read your History Capstone (sorry). You'll be fine in NY or CO...or Fargo until you are a published author, for that matter. See you tomorrow, sweetie!

LaVaun said...

Amazing. A post on your blog on the day I just happened to check it out! Love reading your post and am seriously considering a YA book to read. I would prefer to read one of yours, so be sure to send me a copy when you are finished. Happy Easter to all.