Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ends almost here

Well, I've fallen behind on my blogging! Sorry! But really, I don't do anything exciting, at least not during the week. Unless you count sitting in a windowless room learning about book publishing all day as exciting, which I'm sure some people would totally count. I am just not particularly one of those people. Also, I've spent so much time in a room full of literary snobs (not all but most of them are English majors and it may be hard to believe but I am not the worst grammar nazi in the world.) I think I am rejecting the basics of grammar as a rebellion of being in that room. Take a look at the beginning of this paragraph. Some of them would call it quits just trying to copyedit this blog. Oh well, what am I going to do?
Another thing I've noticed is that people in book publishing refer to the midwest as middle america as if it is some strange and mysterious place. Uh, yeah, Minneapolis and St. Paul are two of the most literary cities in the country. Thanks, Midwest!
I don't believe I've written about my book group. Hmmmm, Okay. So for the book publishing part we form a book imprint (like Hachette publishes the Twilight books but is really a part of Little Brown) and then we have to launch five fake titles. I somehow managed to talk my group into forming a romance imprint called Bodice Books even though half of them think romance books are trashy (which they are not! At least most of them aren't!) The other half I had to take to Barnes and Noble to buy a romance novel because they hadn't read a romance novel before....for real. One of the girls was horrified to learn (through reading her new romance novel) that there is sex in romance novels! Oh good God. You see what I must put up with? (Becky understands what I'm talking about!) Anyways, we're finally getting to the point where we are accepting that we are a romance imprint and moving on. Thank Jesus.
Alright, recap of fourth of July weekend! My roommates and I went to karaoke with some other people from my magazine group (everyone hates their book groups which are different than their mag groups.) and I sang Just Dance by Lady Gaga with a friend. Saturday, my roommate and I went to Memphis which won the Tony for best musical this year. It was awesome and sad and I'm glad I went to it to see the original cast! Sunday was the least patriotic July 4th I've ever experienced. We went to a street fair down by the seaport in the financial district which was odd to see sail boats next to skyscrapers but it was fun. We made sure to watch the fireworks because it was our Italian roommate's first time in the US during the fourth. I was like, "Oh, well if I was home we'd be having a boat parade and delicious food and we'd light fireworks off ourselves because it's somehow more impressive if we managed to buy a pretty and big firework. We had Monday off and I went to see the Last Airbender. DON"T WASTE YOUR MONEY!! I personally love the TV show which I realize marks me as a nerd (as if y'all hadn't realized that yet) but the adaption was HORRIBLE!! I was like, thanks M. Night Shamaylan (Sp???? Oh, who cares really?) for ruining a really good show! You had so much to work with and you managed to turn it into crap. Awesome!!



Yesterday my roommates and I went to play trivia at this bar (extrememly hard trivia. the only round we did well on was the revolutionary era round and that's pretty amazing because I don't like American history). At this bar, you buy a beer and get a personal pizza free and since I'm cheap and also hadn't tried pizza since third grade when Dave made me eat a piece (yeah, haven't forgotten about that Dave!) I figured I should try it again. I mean, I'd discovered I liked guacamole and sour cream all in the span of last year maybe pizza had developed into my tastes.



Nope. Still gross. I was really really hungry though so I ate half of my pizza. You should all be impressed. I had pizza in New York and I hated it! My raspberry beer was good though!

Today we went to the offices of Hyperion publishing (although I wanted to visit Disney Hyperion which is there YA imprint and be like, I love youuuuuu. You should publish my boooookkk! Kthxbai!) Then my roommates and I went to 16 Handles which is a frozen yogurt place that has 16 flavors and you can put as many flavors as you want in your container and you can put however many toppings you want on it and they price it by the weight and it was the most amazing thing I've ever experienced. We need one of these!! Anyways, this weekend is our last weekend so we're going to try and go to another show and go out dancing and maybe hit up Rockerfeller center or something tourist-y. I'll update y'all soon!

3 comments:

Barker Family Blog said...

It sounds like you are having a GREAT time Mal!! I can't believe it is almost over and we are all so excited to have you home!! Have fun on your last weekend!! Love to you, Becky

Billie said...

I hope Promises, Promises is good tonight. Can't wait until Saturday night! Have a great last week in NYC. Love, Mom XXXO

Mark said...

Wow. Pizza and Beer. Phantom, Memphis, Promises - Promises, karaoke in NYC. Is there anything left to do there :)

Enjoy your last week and we'll be there to welcome you home when you get in Saturday.

Love, Dad