Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Constant State of Tiredness

So I guess everyone wants to know what I'm doing exactly...Well, I'm sitting in a room that is set at the temperature of freezing-my-ass-off, listening to people from the magazine world speak for about nine hours a day. I am always hungry. I am always cold. I am always uncomfortable because I am a person who sits on her feet and the chairs in our lovely igloo room do not allow that.
I have learned all sorts of things like CPM's that's cost per thousands, and unique viewers, and SEO (Search Engine Optimization). I have learned about the business models of the Huffington Post, Consumer Market, Mother Jones, Spin, Rolling Stones, LIFE (It is now a website with really cool pictures on it so you should go check it out) and so many other magazines/content websites that I don't even know what to do with myself.
At the end of these three weeks we are launching a fake magazine brand that must be unique in its idea and expand into print, web, and social media. My group is made up of about ten girls and we are launching a magazine that supports eco-friendly fashion and beauty but will also have a section on green lifestyle. My job in this group is Web Marketing and Business Manager. I really don't have to do anything on the business side thank God because it turns out that numbers and I don't mix (as if Dad wasn't aware of that all those nights in high school when he tried to teach me math and I ended up crying). My job (as well as another girl) is to develop a facebook page and twitter account for our fake magazine and help the web editors come up with blogs for our magazine website. So I'm actually feeling pretty good about that. I knew all those hours on facebook when I should have been doing homework or writing would come in handy sometime! And thank God I joined twitter this year because it's apparently really big. Also something called foursquare is really big too. It has something to do with your city and you become mayor of your city by doing things on foursquare blah blah blah. Everyone hear gushes about it but I really think it's a big city thing. Who has time to become a fake mayor of something on the internet? No one. Or at least not me.
Hmmmm, what else have I done in a week and a half. I visited the offices of Everyday with Rachel Ray and got to eat some pieces of a porkchop made in their test kitchens where they test recipes to put in their magazine. I have fallen in love with too many magazines to count. I have discovered that I could never ever EVER be a vegetarian like one of my roommates (She said she's like a sixth generation vegetarian so it's the way she grew up. But she's also from California so that's not really a surprise.) I have applied for a paid internship which I most likely won't get but hey, it's worth a try and networked with some SPI (summer publishing institute) alums and got a card! I have visited the Empire State Building and the Metropolitan Museum of Art and also lazed in my apartment for an entire day because that's what eleven hour days do to you. (Insert Shannon telling me not to whine about my hours).
And now for something completely different...PICTURES!!!


Me and My roommates at my birthday dinner at the Hard Rock!

Sex and the City cosmo!!

This is the Woolworth building where we go to class and freeze all day long!

This last one's for Shannon!

4 comments:

Billie said...

Love the new look of your blog and love the post and pictures.

Your day sounds full, but also interesting. And it must be so fun to be in the city and have new friends/roommates from all over the world!

Love you!
Mom
XXXO

Shannon said...

You are the only one wearing color out of all your roommates. What's up with that? Also, thank you for that picture. He so pretty.

Mark said...

I also like your new blog. Buy yourself a sweater and bring it to class every day, wear socks and shoes and try to stay warm.

I didn't try to make you cry when we did math. I'm sorry.

Now I know what Nina looks like since I already got to meet Christina and Martina.

Make sure you ask the magazine people this: With the move of publications to the web have they figured out a way to make money off a media that everyone expects to be free?

Enjoy your time in the city that never sleeps.

I Love You,
Dad

Mal said...

Dad,
I know you didn't mean to make me cry. Math made me cry.
And that's basically all we talk about in the magazine section. How to monetize their content.