Hellooooo Everyone,
I'm writing from New York City. I've only been here three days and boy does it seem longer!! I've spent the last three days at the Summer Publishing Institute (SPI) classroom listening to speakers about magazines. The magazine business is kind of in a precarious situation right now so a lot of what we are learning is how to merge online with print and how to incorporate digital readers like the iPad and the kindle and whether we should charge for content and so on and so forth.
We actually get to listen to a lot of high up people in the magazine business. The Executive Editor from the Food Network Magazine talked to us today and we were taught how to network by the Mingling Mavin. She actually didn't tell me anything I didn't already know. I'm apparently very good at talking to strangers.
Hmmmm what else? My roommates are pretty cool. Their names all end in -ina so I'm the odd man out in our apartment. Eating here is kind of hard because none of us have any kitchen supplies. Right now I'm eating and using a paper towel as my plate. Classy! I got yelled at by a subway cop my first day for nothing but I was all "whatever dude!" and went on my way. Living in New York has actually made me revert to my study abroad mode because NYC is such a different culture. I am in the "Don't look anyone in the eye and keep to yourself" mode which is pretty useful.
Well, that's it for now, I guess. I'll have more later and I managed to take a few pictures of the Woolworth building so I'll post those soon.
3 comments:
This all sounds great! Study hard & take in all the sites. Happy 22nd B.D.
You will be in a constant learning mode from the publishing business to getting along in New York. I hope your roommates and your classmates are nice so you can enjoy yourself while working on your projects.
Have a great birthday!
I love you,
Dad
Sounds great so far! "good at talking to strangers"? Just like your Dad and Grandpa R. :-)
Hope you had a wonderful birthday!
Talk to you soon. I love you very much.
Mom
XXXO
Post a Comment